So, I was on a roll with my waterfalls. I decided a third would make a satisfying triptych, and having not done much watercolour recently, decided I should have a go. It was more straightforward than I’d expected really, once I’d found the stinky old masking fluid and decided that it would just about do for my needs.
My focus was to try very hard to put in the full range of tones – I always struggle with getting really good darks into my watercolours, partly because I’m often too impatient to wait until everything dries and add to sections for good depths. This time I was conscious of that need, and worked at it; I think it paid off in the third image below.
Now I just need to find some wall space to hang them…
Taking the previous waterfall experiment as a starting point, I then thought it would be entertaining to take it further into a small series. In truth, I thought a drawing of the scene would complement the more abstracted version of the waterfall, and help it to ‘make sense’.
I do really enjoy drawing in fineliner, and it was quite a meditative process to convert the image to monochrome, although I’ll admit I’d forgotten how long just drawing something can take when you’re really concentrating on the detail.
It was satisfying to use the humble brown paper to draw on, and the white gel highlighter added at the end really helped the image spring to life.
I’m pleased with the graphic feel of this one – not so much my usual style, but I think it works for the drama and starkness of the subject.
A few years ago my sketching friend and I went to a workshop at Leeds School of Art. The focus was to study the work of David Tress and take inspiration from his work into our own art. In retrospect I really gained a lot from the session, moving away from detail and towards elements of abstraction.
With time on my hands I thought I could revisit what I’d learned, so I picked up a small, narrow piece of mountboard and looked for a subject. I found a photo of a waterfall in Wales which appealed and suited the dimensions of the card. By collaging packing paper and newsprint I created a textured base on which to paint with acrylic. I went a bit mad with colour (I thought at the time) but was pretty happy with the result.
It’s rough and ready, but I think it looks at home mounted on some brown paper.