Still on holiday for this sketch (I’m eking them out). The chair had been calling to me for a couple of days. I liked the shape of it, the simplicity, moulded from a single piece (probably plastic) and upholstered in grey tweedy fabric. I knew I didn’t want to paint it. Somehow a line drawing seemed right, and fortunately it came without too much bother. I had fun with the slightly broken lines, and especially with the fringe on the cushion. I like the sparsity of the chair compared to the complexity of the plant and stool. Fineliners rule! (well, sometimes).
I do like asparagus. It’s beautiful, and it tastes good too. There is a downside, but we won’t talk about that here…
This bunch came from a local farm shop. They were huge, plump stalks in the prime of life, and so colourful they almost begged to be painted. And then eaten. Which is exactly what happened.
A highlight of the late summer and early autumn is when the blackberries arrive. They seem to be rather early this year, but that’s a bonus. Roll on pies, crumbles, ice cream and supplies for the freezer to make winter more luxurious.
I really enjoyed painting this one, despite the obvious wrangles with some of the foliage and berries. A little success is always encouraging, and I do like the way the yellow shows through on a couple of the leaves, and the definition on the lower berries. I felt it was a bit courageous to go for a painted border, but I’m pleased I did. It was also a pleasure to be able to use some quite strong reds and pinks on the less ripe berries and thorns – those colours rarely seem to get an outing in my pictures.
Isn’t it funny that just when you think you’ve made a decent picture, fate intervenes and reminds you with the next one that she plays a part in your success too? I bought these chilli plants yesterday and thought that I could paint them in watercolour. Boy, has it been a struggle.
I’ve finished the picture, and although it’s kind of ok, I’m still feeling there’s something missing. I think my issues might have been partly due to the fact that I didn’t have a very clear picture in my head of how I wanted this to look.
First I painted the plants very lightly and sketchily in yellows and pale greens. The little chillies just looked wishy-washy and malformed. I added a darker green, and they still looked unconvincing. They only started to perk up a little bit when I threw in some Windsor Blue, but I feel that even that wasn’t their salvation.
I don’t know. Some you win, some you, well, don’t win so much… But onwards and upwards!