I really like Freesias. But this picture really was full of issues. I was trying to get the paint to be a little freer than I normally allow, and I had an idea for a graduated wash background. It all went a bit pear-shaped.
The flowers aren’t so bad in themselves; in places the purple petal edges are really nice, although I think overall the flowers don’t have enough contrast. I had trouble deciding what colour the darks in the yellow flowers were, and I still think they look rather flat, as do the purple ones too.
It was when I came to put the wash on that everything got really difficult. I’d mixed up some Payne’s Grey with Winsor Green, hoping to suggest dark foliage behind. But I used the wrong brush to apply it – being lazy, I used the large round brush I’d painted the flowers with, rather than swapping to a mop. The paint didn’t go on evenly, and when I tried to correct the grading I ended up with the bleeds and runs, and a big, unsightly blotch of darker paint towards the bottom edge. Curses! In the end I decided not to fiddle with the paint any further. Another one to put down to experience (I’m getting quite a lot of those!).