The garden is starting to look good as everything comes back to life, and I woke up this morning thinking it would be interesting to have a go at a pastel picture of a spray of green leaves. I was definitely full of optimism and feeling up for a challenge.
Firstly, I’m usually most comfortable drawing subjects with hard edges, not natural and organic beauty, so this was uncertain territory. Secondly, I wanted to focus harder than usual on composition (which to be honest is often the last thing I think of), as I’ve noticed that I could definitely improve in this area. Add to this the fact that I’ve only used pastels for portraits so far… so, I had a number of challenges on my hands.
In the end, it didn’t go too badly for a first bash. I like the play of the shadows on the table surface, but the actual flowers are too undefined and not how I’d imagined they would be when I started. I’m fairly pleased with the composition, although I think the diagonal could have been less acute. All in all, a reasonable beginning.
Note to self: I must get some larger board as this size (12 x 14 ins) felt constraining with the bluntness of the pastels. Let’s go bigger next time!